Ancient Ruins,To the End of the World and Back

November 22nd, 2011 cnjenk13

Hello Readers,

I am sorry for the lateness (by almost 2 months) for not posting. Unfortunately with all the work I have had and limited internet usage into the last month and a half in Sri Lanka, so much time had passed me. Well, where should I begin?  I guess the best place to begin would be what we ISLE students like to call Northern Tour. The week prior we were introduced to an addition class  to Sinhala 1. The class was called Material Culture and it was an examination of the ancient history of Sri Lanka. As a result of the course we went to go see all the sites of ancient Sri Lanka in parts of the northern Sri Lanka like Sigirya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura.  It was amazing and so beautiful.  I got to see some of the examples of art that I had studied in classes at Holy Cross that once seemed like only a dream to see.

My first weeks  in October were taken up by class on the most part but I had the weekend to roam Sri Lanka as I wished. My first weekend I took the train to Nuwara Eliya, It was my first time on a Sri Lankan train and the experience is something I will never forget. It makes me appreciate the organization that you find with the US regarding public transportation. They over sold tickets and though me and my friends had second class seats we ended up in third class. Not to mention, I was standing for about an hour up twisty paths. All in all though, we got a chance to practice our sinhala and met some really nice people.

Nuwara Eliya is the coolest place in Sir Lanka, it felt like it was winter on the HILL, it was so cold! Any ways, the purpose of it was to climb worlds end one of the world’s highest points, and the third tallest in Sir Lanka. In total it was a 2 km hike up.  We saw mini World’s End, World’s end and Baker’s Falls, where we got to put our feet in the water and sit.  It was all amazing. I felt accomplished to have climbed up as high as I did but also looking at the view made me realize how amazing the experience of coming to Sri Lanka has been in such a short amount of time. Well that’s it for now. Here are some pictures of all the things I have seen on Northern tour and in Nuwara Eliya. Enjoy!