Feminism, The Evils of Plants and lovely coastally Beach

November 25th, 2011 cnjenk13

Hello again readers,

So in my attempts to update you on my life, I plan on writing more and posting more pictures. Again I am sorry for the delay. Anyways, I last left off coming back from the End of the World to my lovely abode in Kandy.  As I mentioned in my last entry, my time was spent learning about the women of Sri Lanka and the evils of botanical imperialism (the elective classes I was taking). We had reached the time in the semester where we started taking our elective classes and mine were on two very different ends of the spectrum. One class was called The Image of the Feminine and the Social Experience of Women in Sri Lanka. In this class, we talked about exactly what was in the title; the fantasy and reality of the Sri Lankan women and the obstacles she faced in daily life. The other was called Botanical Imperialism, where me and two other students (it was an extremely small class), talked about the wonderful world of plants and the evils they were involved in. This class was my favorite. After my Nuwara Eliya trip, I decide it was time to go to the coast and finally see the beach.  After some talking with friends we decide to spend a weekend in Hikkaduwa which was not too far down south but we would be graced by the sun rays that were lacking in Kandy. Here, I learned of my love for the beach and my hate for it as well. The beach was amazingly beautiful, the water cool and clear and the sun shining without a cloud in the sky. This weekend was also the first time actually didn’t want to go outside. I got sun burned for the first time in my life! All in all it was good time. I’m off for now.